Icelandic Swimming hall without the 'swimming'

In the morning I feed the horses and afterwards I go to the field with Bjarni to feed the big herd. He moves the big hay rolls with tractor while I open the gate and the rolls. I have some time to admire the seaside, the big waves and breath in the scents of the salt and seaweed.
When we have moved all eight hay rolls I stay at the field to clean the plastic thrash that is left from the rolls. While I clean, the horses start to gather around me, curious. I stop and let everyone meet me. I feel like I'm in a movie with wild horses although these are just very greedy horses since thy think I have some bread in my thrash sack.

In the evening after clening the stall I get to go to the local swimming hall with Elsa and Bjarni. The pools are all outside and the water is hot like in a hot spring. And it is from a hot spring, coming from underground.
We sit in the pools and the locals talk in icelandic. I relax and let the words roll in my head, sometimes asking the meaning of some funny sounding words. I studied some words before I came and tell what I know to Elsa. No ones really swimming.

I try the icelandic version of sauna. In Finland sauna is a very important part of culture. We usually have a sauna stove with rocks where we throw water, and the hot steam rises and warms nicely. In an icelandic sauna there is no stove but hot steam is blown from the walls. It is not as hot as I'm used to and there is a funny smell in the air.

After the visit to the pools I feel refreshed and relaxed. So much so, that I forgot my swimming suit and shampoo in the dressing room. I hope I can get them back next time I visit.



Kommentit

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

Tours, no tours

Tungu.. what?